FOR REMANUFACTURED TURBOCHARGERS
In order to help our customers receive the greatest performance and life from our remanufactured turbochargers, Advanced Turbo Technology, LLC has implemented the following installation requirements and recommendations. Note: The attached Installation Checklist and Impeller Eye Clearance Measurements must be completed and returned to Advanced Turbo Technology for the Warranty to be validated. (See page 4) Warranty does not become effective until this document is returned and received by Advanced Turbo Technology, LLC.
1. Follow all EMD Turbocharger Installation Procedures and Specifications
2. Use proper lift points and lifting tool for the EMD turbocharger.
3. Provide Impeller Eye Clearance Readings at the prescribed installation steps. See page 3 of this document.
4. Install new Turbo Lube Filter
5. Install new Soak Back Filter
6. Install new Intake Air Filters
7. Properly clean and inspect the Lube Oil Separator
8. Test Start/Run the engine with the turbocharger exhaust inlet safely blocked off in order to purge any loose debris from the exhaust system prior to connecting to the newly installed turbocharger.
9. Complete the Turbocharger Installation Checklist and return to Advanced Turbo Technology to insure Warranty validation.
1. Install new/remanufactured Exhaust Inlet Screen
2. Install new/remanufactured Turbo Drive Gear Assembly
3. Clean Aftercooler Cores or install new/remanufactured Aftercooler Cores.
4. Install new/remanufactured Soak Back Pump.
IMPELLER EYE CLEARANCE
1. Repeated eye clearance checks are made to assure that turbocharger case distortion has not occurred
during the installation process. For these checks to be meaningful and accurate, it is imperative that the
procedure is done in accordance with the following:
a. Mark an impeller blade at the 12 o’clock position and make sure that this blade is in the same position
at each clearance measurement. Using two feeler gauges, determine the eye clearance at both the 12 & 6
o’clock positions and the 3 & 9 o’clock positions. Eye clearance should be checked prior to hanging the
turbocharger on the engine for later comparison to the factory measurement. The turbocharger “must
not” be hanging on the lifting apparatus when this measurement is made. Eye clearance measurement
must also be made after the turbocharger is attached to the engine and bolts torqued, again after
installation of the aftercooler ducts and finally after the completion of the installation, prior to the
attachment of the air inlet/air duct assembly.
2. If Impeller Eye Clearance measurements cannot be exactly duplicated at each measurement point, it
indicates that the turbocharger has been distorted during installation.
In this event, it is imperative that the air ducts be removed and eye clearance rechecked.
If the turbocharger is still distorted, the turbocharger mounting bolts must be loosened and the
turbocharger realigned and clearance rechecked so that NO stress or distortion is created during
Casing assembly tolerances for the six main doweling assembly components are as small as .0005.
Improper installation can cause distortion many times this amount and guarantee a premature
catastrophic failure. Even small amounts of distortion will lead to premature failure of gears, bearings or the clutch.
RETURN COMPLETED INSTALLATION CHECKLIST AND INFORMATION TO:
Advanced Turbo Technology, LLC
25221 Hwy 365N
North Little Rock, Arkansas 72113
(501) 734-1290 Bus
(501) 851-1156 Fax
SCAN AND EMAIL TO email@example.com